Advanced Multi-physics Simulation with XDEM Software
- How to get XDEM software?
The XDEM software is a numerical simulation framework that implements the eXtended Discrete Element Method (XDEM). It is organized as a C++ library organized in a set of modules and a set of simulation drivers designed to provide high quality and fast simulations of thermal conversion of granular matter for industrial applications.
XDEM is successfully been used to investigate, for instance:
- convective heat transfer or combustion processes in packed beds, drying, pyrolysis,
- iron oxides reduction,
- particle motion and conversion processes on backward and forward acting grates,
- traction behavior of tires in soil,
- digital twins of blast furnaces,
- additive manufacturing process,
- motion and impact of debris during flooding.
XDEM allows multi-physics simulations of granular materials. It supports the following simulation modules:
- Dynamics: particle motion, force, stress
- Conversion: thermodynamic state, chemical composition and reactions
- CFD coupling: multi-phase flows, liquids and gases
- FEM coupling (experimental)
XDEM is versatile and flexible
- Various particle shapes: spheres, cubes, torus, …
- Triangulated surfaces (STL, VTK)
- Physics models: impact, bond, rolling, …
- Multiple integration schemes
- Size changing models
- Many materials and chemical reactions
- Periodic Boundaries
- Particle sources
Pre-processing and Post-processing
XDEM input files uses the HDF5 format and can be setup using the XDEM Graphical User Interface.
Results are generated as HDF5 and XDMF output files. The output can be visualized with ParaView and data analysis can be performed with any tool supporting HDF5, for example with R, Python or Matlab.
High Performance Parallel Execution
- Distributed execution with MPI
- Shared memory execution with OpenMP
- Tested up to 2,000 cores with millions of particles
XDEM also proposes a unique and efficient parallel coupling with OpenFOAM.
The quality of XDEM Software is ensured in various ways:
- Strong documentation
- Systematic code review
- Extensive tests
- Code coverage and analysis
- Continuous integration and nightly tests
How to get XDEM software?
XDEM Software is not publicly distributed, neither as source code nor binaries. It is only used internally by the LuXDEM research group and its partners to run their simulations.
A private copy and license can be provided on demand to partners as part of a collaboration with the LuXDEM research group and the University of Luxembourg. Please contact Prof. Bernhard Peters for this matter.